Friday, March 1, 2013

Where IS this town...?

Magnum Pope

I didn’t stay around to see what happened to the tank or if the guy in the car was all right.  Instead I went down the street and checked into a one star motel for the night.  The “Let ‘em die – Let ‘em lie” Inn.  I felt I needed to lay low.  This town, wherever it was, seemed dangerous.

I clicked on the TV.  It was black and white.  All the shows had some sort of violent theme.  I figured it was just the time of day when commercial costs were cheap, and the only folks who watched the shows were unemployed loser types eating Cheetos.

I was struck by the timeliness of one show.  The pope had retired and was sharing the rent with some old crazy woman.  He had lost most of his papal pot-o-cash gambling in Vegas and they hit it off as friends or something.  She was always carrying around this enormous hand cannon.  Everyone in this town seemed on some sort of fringe.  Where - the - hell - was - I?


It’s always something….


1 comment: