Monday, March 11, 2013

Encounter in the Lobby


I headed up from the pool to the lobby to ask when check out time was and hopefully get some tips on a place for dinner.

At the same time I entered the motel lobby from the pool area, a young couple was leaving through the street front doors, shouting something back behind them as they slammed the door.  Ethel (according to her nametag) was still displaying her digit, putting the capstone on whatever argument they all just had.  I later learned that Ethel was the head housekeeper and Tonya, at the end of the counter, was her assistant.  Tonya was also an expert marksman (oops, marksperson) and was to be avoided.

They all three looked at me.  “Yes?”  Frederic said.

“I was wondering if you might suggest a good place here in town for dinner.”

“Well, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to eat at the same place as them two – goddam hippies ‘s what they was if you ask me…”  Ethel said.

“There’s a diner just down the street, past where they had the swim meet protest last night.”  Frederic said.  “And, they don’t make you check your firearms at the door.”

“That’s a good sign.”  I said, not wanting them to think I didn’t have a firearm.  “Ok, thanks.  When’s checkout?”

“You’re not plannin’ any trouble are ya?”  Ethel said, scowling.  “We deal with troublemakers.”

“No, ma’am.”

“11 am.  Just make sure to take all your weapons and ammunition when you clear the room.”  Frederic said, working on some paperwork, not looking up.

“O   k….well, later then…”


It’s always something…


No comments:

Post a Comment